Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A breast is, well, a breast


October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and publications are overflowing with information on campaigns  taking place throughout the country. Among all the great initiatives, the below brochure I got with my copy of Abu Dhabi Week caught my attention:



Maybe it's just me - I might not have been paying attention before - but this is the first time in seven years that I've seen something so 'literal' out there in the open.

Yes. I am talking about the nude woman examinig her breast. It is not often (more like never) that we see images like this stamped on magazines, newspapers or flyers in this part of the world.  

Sure, I know women must be covered at all times around here (even on paper), but how else can one talk about breast cancer or try to promote self-examination without showing a breast?

Finally it seems that a breast is, well, a breast, an organ in the human body that has to be looked after and taken care of just like hands and mouths, throats and heads.

I have to say I am extremely proud of the local health authority for addressing the matter so openly. I sincerely hope this is a trend and that others will follow in their footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment