Sunday, October 28, 2012

Global citizen


Not sure if you’ve noticed, but I haven’t been as active and present here at BurCArioca as I once was. Reason? I had a baby last August – a little citizen of the world, who was conceived in Abu Dhabi, born in Dubai, and is entitled to dual citizenship: Brazilian (my husband and I are Brazilians) and Danish (my father-in-law is Danish).

Why not add an UAE nationality to the list? Well, the fact that she was born here does not mean she gets it.

Actually, until very recently, UAE nationality was passed by blood, strictly from father to son. It was only last December (2011) that Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed, President of the UAE and Ruler of Abu Dhabi, passed a decree granting citizenship to children of Emirati mothers married to foreigners.

So, my baby girl will definitely not enjoy government subsidized health care, education and other social benefits as well as scholarships or employment aimed at Emiratis.

She will, however, be able to show everyone her very unusual and cool birth certificate containing two different birth dates: August 23, 2012 (based on the internationally accepted Gregorian calendar) and October 6, 1433 (based on the Hijri calendar followed by Muslims).
 
 
I guess this will be the first of many curiosities in the life of my very special global citizen!

2 comments:

  1. Dear BurCarioca, this is amazing information, very interesting, Danish pass go for it immediatelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, in a certain way, this new generation is a global one: they speak many languages; travel a lot more than we, the old folks, used to; have friends everywhere and are constantly conected to the whole world !!

    ReplyDelete