Thursday, December 22, 2011

‘Pastel’ pastry – finally!

This year I got my Christmas present a couple of days early! A dear friend of mine was finally able to find what I’ve been searching for ever since I moved to Abu Dhabi: ‘massa de pastel’ (‘pastel’ pastry)!
For those of you not familiar with this Brazilian delicacy, let me explain…
The ‘pastel’ is a thin pastry wrap deep fried in vegetable oil. It is usually filled with cheese and meat, but you can personalize it according to your taste and preference, alternating between savory and sweet options. Delish!
In Brazil, they can be found just about anywhere. You can get them ready to eat, at bars, restaurants and popular street markets, or simply buy the pastry at supermarket shelves and add your favorite fillings at home.
Since the UAE is also famous for its pastries, I thought it would be easy to satisfy my ‘pastel’ cravings, but I was never able to find that exact, perfect, wonderful ‘pastel’ pastry around here.
Thankfully, all this has changed. Yesterday, I was finally able to sink my teeth into several yummy ‘pastéis’ – soooooo good!
Thanks Carla for my mouth-watering Christmas present! Sorry I did not invite you over to try some, but Eric and I were so excited we ate everything in a matter of seconds and were left licking our fingers! See how beautiful they turned out:

In case you are wondering where to find the ‘pastel’ pastry in Abu Dhabi, just look for Egg Roll Wraps at Lulu Hypermarket (apparently they are stored in the refrigerators and not in the freezers, where I have been looking for all these years).

No comments:

Post a Comment