Saturday, April 30, 2011

Royal Wedding frenzy

Up until today I have managed to stay away from this Royal Wedding frenzy. Not because I have anything against it, but simply because I don’t see why it should matter to me – or anyone really – who is invited for the big day or the songs chosen for the ceremony or the details about the bride’s dress.
But, today, after waking up to so many different posts on Facebook regarding the wedding, I decided to investigate how the British nationals that live here in the UAE (approximately 100,000) celebrated the Royal Wedding.
While people in London took the streets to participate in William and Kate’s, ooops, I mean, Catherine’s nuptials, people in the UAE had several options to choose from. Some watched the entire thing at home, with friends and lots of free flowing drinks. Others headed down to venues that embraced the wedding fever and hosted lavish parties and screenings to celebrate the big day. Dressed up or dressed down (as you will see in some of the below images), people definitely did not miss out on the action in London!
And, as British pride and patriotism was celebrated all over the UAE, I must confess that I too took the time to actually watch the famous couple tie the knot. After all, this is history in the making… And, I guess, at the end of the day, everyone is fond of a beautiful fairy tale, right?
I just hope that people manage to get past all this madness, stop making comparisons and allow the couple to breathe and be happy.
The end.

Pictures from:

1 comment:

  1. Dearest BurCarioca
    I was not planning on watching but it turned out that I had the time and I am glad I did. It was great to see a bride in time, the organization to be an example and yes it was beautiful and an amazing happy atmosphere... love the trees and green and the harmony that had an amazing flow from beginning to end emanating good vibes all over the world..

    ReplyDelete