Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Year's resolution

I know Christmas is behind us and everyone is now on the countdown to 2011, but I just came across something on Gulf News (one of the main local papers in the UAE) that got me thinking…

Published on December 15, the article is all about inspiring people as they pick gifts for the festive season. Basically, the editor asks people in the UAE quick questions like, for example, ‘what was the best gift you ever received?’

Answers: a trip to Madrid, Paris and Rome, an Armani suit, a Cartier necklace, a car, a business…

Is it just me or does this all seem a bit too much? What happened to love and peace or something simple, coming straight from the heart?

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’d also love a trip somewhere, an expensive jewelry or a fancy car – keep it in mind for next year, ok babe? (LOL) – but living in the UAE, where people seem to have so much money to spend, makes me feel in a parallel world – one that is far, far away, from reality.

I know, I know. You probably think I am being too harsh. They were mentioning their best gifts ever. They don’t get stuff like that every single day, just out of the blue. Right?

Well, I am not so sure. I do know a lot of people here who can’t seem to get away from Chanel, Tiffany’s and other luxury brands, who always have a new and expensive gadget at hand, or who are constantly trying to show-off what they have and what they can do with their money.  

I too spoil myself sometimes. What can I say?

I don’t know. I am probably still caught-up in the Christmas spirit here. But maybe, just maybe, it’s time people – including me – rethink their priorities. Not only during Christmas, but throughout the year.

Working with internal communications and change management for such I long time, I’ve learned that we should always lead by example in order to promote change.

So, I have decided to challenge myself in my New Year's resolution: during 2011 I will try, as much as I can, to only gift people with memorable experiences or original items personally made by moi, me, euzinha – all coming straight from the heart.

Tips and advices are welcome starting now!!!!!

Note:
Dear friends and family, no need to start worrying or freaking out - at least, not yet. I hereby solemnly promise to be extremely creative and always respect my limitations. I can't really promise staying away from cheesy or corny alternatives though... Hope you don't mind!

Thank you all so much for visiting me at BurCArioca. I loved having you around and I hope you continue to come back for more.
I wish you all an amazing 2011!


2 comments:

  1. Amiga ainda nem chegou 2011 e vc já começou a realizar sua proposta pro ano novo. Todas adoraram o seu carinho em mandar uma cartinha e coisas gostosas para poder participar, pelo menos em pensamento e no coração do nosso encontro. Muitos beijos Marina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutelly true, with your BurCarioca you give from your heart and your time and this is really great, it is a gift that you share and I am very greatful for that. The more we give the more we get.
    it is actually sad when you run out of cars, brands and expensive items, it is very sad because people stop to develop the gift from the heart!
    Great resolution, by the way your new camera will allow you to create gifts from the heart.
    I promiss to come up with another surprise to replace the Chocolate Mousse, just keep inviting me so I can experiment :)
    mind the new cameras and radars now in full action as we are now in big brother town

    ReplyDelete