Monday, November 8, 2010

Rain alert! Rain alert!

Just read on the paper that there's a chance of rain over the next two days. Uh oh…
You are probably wondering why this information made it to the headlines and you are also possibly curious as to why I decided to include this in my blog. After all, it's just rain. What's the big deal?
Well, rain is actually something kind of special around here. Hellooo!! Did you forget I am in the middle of the desert? It never rains here! Ever since I moved to the UAE (three and a half years on November 17), I have experienced only 15 days of rain - tops!
Actually, before last year, I used to wish for rain. I mean, I love living here and enjoying the beautiful sunny days throughout the year, but sometimes you just need a little rain and its sound and its smell and the laziness that comes with it and makes you want to stay in bed, under the covers, for the entire day, eating comfort food, reading a good book, watching TV and drinking wine. 
I guess I should be happy with the possibility of some rain, right? Wrong! Here's why...
December 2009. My husband was flying and out of the country (for those of you who do not know, he is a pilot). Only a couple of days until I set down to Brazil for the holidays. I was packing. It started to rain. I went to bed happy.
Woke up and looked out the window. Still raining. How nice. Suddenly I noticed some of the streets seemed a bit flooded. People had water up to their knees. Hmmm. Maybe not so nice.


Got my morning cup of coffee and sat down to check my emails. Inbox: one email. Subject: Cars parked at B2 MT (the building). Body: Residents with cars parked at basement 2 should go down as soon as possible. Reaction: What the hell?!?!?!?!
When I got down, I couldn't believe my eyes. There was water everywhere. I couldn't even manage to get down to basement 2. From a distance, I saw my car, along with ten others, completely submersed. Actually that is not true. I didn't get to see my car. It was literally under water – all of it!
With nothing else to do I went back to my apartment (up the stairs because elevators were no longer working), waited for the rain to stop and the water to go down (which took two whole days) in order to actually see the car and get the police over to give me the necessary paperwork to start the insurance process (yes, good news, my insurance did cover this).
This is what I found when I was actually cleared (sort of) to step into the basement parking:




I can understand losing my car due to a sandstorm or a terrible car accident or a close encounter with a camel on the road, but a flood? Really? In Abu Dhabi?
So, from now on, whenever I hear the word rain (thankfully, not that often) I get into alert mode. Already trying to figure out where to park my car in case it starts pouring. Definitely NOT in the basement.
People say lightening doesn't strike the same place twice, but you never know. I'd rather be safe than sorry...

3 comments:

  1. Marquei como funny porque já passou e o seu seguro cobriu tudo. Mas imagino o seu desespero. Bjs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pois é Ju, agora é tudo alegria, mas no dia eu quase morri do coração. Não conseguia acreditar no que eu tava vendo! bjs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear BurCarioca
    now its funny and the whole rain story is also funny, the photos almost dont show the dimention but i know how sad it was at the time. Great that you like your new car :) and yes dont use the 2nd basement for the next 2 months as I may rain one of these days

    ReplyDelete